Saturday, May 3, 2008

Spotlight Newspaper Interview

How do you think John Wasielewski’s announcement will affect your campaign? Initially, I was surprised when John told me he was considering entering the race, but that is one of the great benefits of living in a democracy: Choices. I am as committed now as I was when I announced my candidacy back in January to challenge our current Assemblyman. At that time my resolve to give my district a strong, loud voice was steadfast. That has not changed. I continue to be focused and dedicated to represent the citizens of 109th district.

Dan Bazile is also considering a run for the office. Do you think that will affect your campaign and how? Again, I respect anyone who wants to stand up and make a difference. I do think however, it is time for decisions to be made so that an effective and efficient campaign race can begin.

How do you plan to finance your campaign? From day one, I have acknowledged that this will be a grassroots campaign. We are in a struggling economy, and while my campaign has fundraising plans in the works, we recognize that most people don’t have money to spare. One of my platform issues is that New York spends money it doesn’t have. Not only is a modest, grassroots campaign practical, but is also demonstrative of how New York government needs to start thinking and spending.

How effective do you think your Web site has been in promoting your campaign? As with any grassroots campaign, a web based approach is essential to spreading the message and will prove to be an integral part of reaching the greatest number of people without unnecessary spending. My intention of the website, www.eryn.politicalgateway.com, is to give people a sense of who I am and where I stand with regards to current events. As the campaign progresses, it gives voters an opportunity to see my opinions and comments through regular blog postings.

Have you heard any feedback from people since making your announcement to run? Over the last 4 months, support from friends, family, and the community have been encouraging. While out meeting individuals and business owners, it has become clear that their concerns echo my beliefs. People want to be heard – they have been receptive and excited when they realize they are face to face with someone who wants to voice these concerns down in Albany.

And what do you see as the big issues facing people in the towns of Halfmoon, Clifton Park and Colonie? First and foremost: The economy and their family’s safety and wellbeing. To address peoples concerns about the economy, at the very least, we need to:*Eliminate the gas tax*Offer real property tax reform and relief by limiting the property tax burden on homeowners and small businesses*Relieve school districts and local governments of unfunded mandates*Combat Medicaid fraud – which costs taxpayers $4.5 billion annually*Strengthen accountability with regards to school budgets To address people’s concerns with regards to their family’s safety and well being, we need to:*Develop stricter penalties for sex offenders, especially the level 2 and level 3 violent offenders.*Address the concerns regarding the economy.

Feel free to add anything else you feel is pertinent to the article. I hope to follow up to the initial article I wrote about your announcement and see where you stand today in your campaign. Thank you in advance for your consideration. I appreciate the opportunity. Please feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Ashley Lucas - Reporter
Spotlight Newspapers
lucasa@spotlightnews.com
439-4949x36

No comments: