Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Revision to "Budget Will Hurt Most New Yorkers"

I am revising my last press statement with regards to the “Budget will hurt most New Yorkers.” It has come to my attention that I may have confused some of you. Allow me to clarify a few things. The fact that we have a 4.7% increase in spending, have roughly $4 billion deficit, and then to increase bank fees, credit card fees, health insurance premiums to pay for an inflated budget I find a bit disturbing. We are directly and indirectly taxing the middle class, hard working, average citizen and making it even harder for these people to live in New York. To say that I was bashing AMD or that I was railing against AMD, is an error. I was using them as an example. I am all for getting more corporations to move here so we can stop and eventually reverse the “brain drain” of young professionals.

We also need to protect the small business by giving them the some of the same breaks we give large corporations. I truly believe that the small business is the backbone to the U.S. economy.

I do believe we need to allow more companies the ability to create more jobs. I just don’t want to do it on the back of the already overburdened, overtaxed New Yorker. I want to alleviate that burden. We are the #1 with regards to property taxes in the country. The last time I checked we rank 3rd in gas tax. We need to stop spending money we don’t have and serious cuts need to be made. The legislatures’ belts need to be tightened, and New York citizens should hold accountable those who continue to spend without regard to fiscal responsibility.

One way I believe we can “lighten the load” on taxpayers is to put a CAP on state spending and theoretically analyze state programs to eliminate unnecessary overlap departments and redundant staff. Then we need to reduce state spending and allow the people of New York to keep their money. Which this in turn will allow people to spend more money which will create more revenue for the New York state.
My objective is to represent citizens like myself, who are working hard to raise a family and survive in today’s economic environment. I am interested in the concerns affecting all of us, regardless of our social status, and want to represent you and fight for those issues in our state assembly.

No comments: